Tags are a powerful, flexible way to organize your work in Bear. They work similar to social media, so you can add tags like #work and #school and #errands to a note. Click a tag in the Sidebar to see notes containing that tag.
Here are some basic tips about tags to get you started:
- Notes can contain as many tags as you want
- Tags can be placed anywhere in a note, even in headings and paragraphs
- Autocomplete will help you add existing tags
Ways to add tags to a note
You have options!
- Type a #tag anywhere you want
- Drag one or multiple notes onto a tag in the Sidebar
- Automatically apply them when collecting content with our browser and app extensions (set these tags in Settings > Web content options)
Tags can contain multiple words, making them more versatile and legible. To create a multi-word tag, wrap the words in pound signs, like this:
#vacation plans# #meeting notes# #school projects#
Tags can be nested within other tags, just like folders in a typical file structure. This is great for things like keeping a journal, collecting related tags under parent topic, and more.
To create a nested tag, separate words with a forward slash, like this:
And yes, this works with multi-word tags, just wrap the nested tag in pound signs:
#school projects/biology 101# #novel/chapter 12#
PIC You can pin important tags to the top of the Sidebar for easy access. To pin a tag to the top of the Sidebar:
- Mac: Right-click a tag in the Sidebar and choose Pin to top
- iOS: Long-press a tag in the Sidebar and choose Pin to top
Sometimes, a tag’s name has run its course. If you need to change the name of a tag:
- Mac: Right-click a tag in the Sidebar and choose Edit Tag
- iOS: Long-press a tag in the Sidebar and choose Rename…
Remove tags from all notes
One quick way to remove a tag from a note is to select the tag in the Sidebar, then:
- Mac: Right-click a note in the Note List and choose Remove tag [name of tag]
- iOS: Long-press on a note in the Note List and choose **Remove tag [name of tag] **
To delete a tag from Bear and all the notes that contain it:
- Mac: Right-click a tag in the Sidebar and choose Delete Tag
- iOS: Long-press a tag in the Sidebar and choose Delete
Important detail: This will not delete the notes themselves. It only deletes the selected tag from the relevant notes.
Add or change a TagCon
Tags in the Sidebar can have cute little icons that we call TagCons. These help the tags to stand out and they’re just a little fun.
To add a TagCon to a tag in the Sidebar:
Mac: Right-click a tag in the Sidebar and choose Edit Tag
In the Edit Tag popover that appears, click the TagCon swatch in the lower left
Browse or search for the TagCon that floats your boat
iOS: Long-press a tag in the Sidebar and choose Change Tag Icon…
Browse or search for the TagCon that butters your bread